Sunday, July 08, 2007

It's Derry, away

The draw's just been made for the second round of the qualifiers and we've been paired away with Derry, who beat Armagh by a point today. This is, needless to say, a tough draw for us. That's to say nothing about having to traipse all the way up there next weekend for it.

While the qualifier draw was our big news of the day, it would be churlish in the extreme not to mention Sligo's great win over Galway in today's Connacht final. I have to come clean and admit that I didn't give them much hope in advance (nor, indeed, did I think they'd beat Ros in the semi) and that, yes, I did say that our clash with Galway in Salthill was the real Connacht final. I'm delighted to be proved wrong - Sligo are long overdue a provincial title (I still remember being at the drawn and replayed Connacht final of 1975 when they last won it, beating us) and they well deserve their day in the sun.

No comments: